Saturday, June 26, 2010

Day 5

Today, we began our trek at Mammoth Mountain, a ski resort...we utilized the shuttle to get to Devil's Postpile...This part of the park has only been opened for 2 days due to snow still covering the trails. The ski slopes were still open and were pretty busy by the time we left. CRAZY! It is June 26, right?




Obsidian plug gives this mountain top a much different look than what we've seen so far along the trip.


Keith and Dave.....the kaolinite is stuck to his tongue! Kaolinite is geology's winter flag pole! Luckily, it doesn't hurt to get it off your tongue!


Hot Creek.....hydrothermal hot springs, with temperatures reaching 300 degrees!


Probably will not get anymore updates until I get back to Ontario....we are staying at a lodge the next two nights and I'm not sure about internet availability...tomorrow, I finally get to give my presentation on birds of the Eastern Sierra....one more thing to check off my list!

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment