Sunday, June 13, 2010

Day 1 Pictures - Rockies & Las Vegas

Pictures from the airplane of the Rocky Mountains coming up out of Denver.













Isaiah 55:12: You will go out with joy and be led out in peace. The mountains and the hills will break into songs of joy in your presence, and the trees will clap their hands!

Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area
Absolute gorgeous valley which is a part of the Mohave desert. The sandstone and limestone mountains that surround the valley are awe-inspiring! The sandstones are banded, and the red layers are what gives the area its name. One of the most unique features is the Keystone Thrust Fault, and without being all 'scientific' about it....this is where you see red and tan layers at odd locations (like the picture). Basically it's like layering a cake with different types of layers, and then cutting through the layers, only to let one side be pushed upwards. (There are SO many pictures I could put here....we took over 100!!! but I'll save them for a picture party or something!)



Josh's tree....kind of literally...it's called a Joshua tree! We bought some seeds to try to grow @ home! ;o)






Vegas Strip.....At our hotel, New York New York, there's an actual roller coaster! We can see it from our room! After an afternoon (EST evening) nap, we headed out for dinner @ Rainforest Cafe, at the MGM...huge portions, decent price. Then, we walked up the stip to the Bellagio for the water/light show (5 minutes of wow!).....



As we walked, I was saddened by the ugliness of what is "Vegas." I'm so glad we got to see God's beauty before coming in to the city to see how man can totally distort what was meant to be good.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you were staying at NY, NY! That's where Lee and I stayed for our 5th anniversary. It was awesome. I agree that Vegas is great, but a few days is plenty. It looks like ya'll are having a great time. Keep the pics coming!!

    ReplyDelete